Monday, August 14, 2006

What Are You Doing Here?

It seems I heard once that one of the top five most commonly uttered lines in movies was: “What are you doing here?” It’s typically some sort of slapstick comedy that finds a use for the tired old phrase; some comedy of errors involving situations that only the audience can see in total. Perhaps an innocent hug - and in walks the husband or wife of the hugger – or hug-ee (if that’s even a word – well I guess it is now). "What are YOU doing here~!?"

But we’ve all been there and seen it for ourselves, rolled our eyes, suspended belief – cause hell,,, we’re already out sixteen bucks and that doesn’t even include the popcorn (so expensive they sell it from a jewelry case in the lobby) and the vat of diet coke (light ice, please) with the diving board on it. And at that point wondered "What am I doing here?"

But somehow, despite the cliché-ness of it all, I feel compelled to answer that at the outset in this inaugural post: What AM I doing here…?

I’m not here for any noble cause; I can assure you of that. I’m not thinking that what I write here will somehow redound to the betterment of mankind. I am here with self first in mind…. To in some way get it all off my chest, and if anyone else happens to gain a smile or have a new or stimulating thought provoked then that seems like a fair enough residual effect to me.

I have a wealth of experiences and amazing stories from my past, centered around, but not limited to, family, church life, growing up in a small town, career, my love of, and participation in acoustic and bluegrass music, personal development, relationships, leadership, food and food art, politics, education, and a philosophy for living a life that sings.

I wouldn’t trade places with anyone. You’ll never see anyone happier to be in their own skin than I am.. and you'll never see anyone so comfortable about laughing at themselves, along with other mortals who can’t wait to point out the most recent faux paus. I’m ok with that and hopefully I might be able to pass a little of that out along the way as well.

It’s been an incredible ride so far and I (along with several others, for that matter) thought it time to finally put it all down ‘for the record’.

I hope you enjoy – I certainly did

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home